Wednesday, November 24

Kindle, Kindling, Kindlicious

I will soon be ordering a Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi (Third edition; latest model) and I am so excited. The thought of having so many books with me all the time just waiting for me to have a few seconds to look through their pages... ah, I can't wait. I already have a "stack" of free e-books waiting to be downloaded. Philosophy, novels, poetry, fairy tales, classics. There are so many free books, and of course many others for low costs. The Kindle can even play music; I can't wait to listen to the Jekyll and Hyde soundtrack while reading the novel!

The third generation Kindle uses Pearl e-ink, which has much better contrast than the original technology. More contrast means even less eye strain on an already gentle screen. The e-ink screen means the text can be viewed from any angle and under direct sunlight, just like a book page. Also like a book page, it requires a reading lamp under low-light conditions. I, for one, would much rather read something that is similar to a book and have to use a lamp than be looking at some variation of a computer screen. We get enough computer screens in our everyday lives; I can't wait to be able to give myself a break yet keep the convenience of technology.

Between wi-fi and the 3G network, I will be able to use my Kindle's limited internet capabilities to do simple tasks anywhere at any time. It will not replace a laptop; I already have one of those! But when I need to know the showtimes for a movie, want to read the online newspaper for the day, or just have to know who that actor is in the movie I saw, this little beauty will come in handy. I've already experimented a little bit with my mom's Kindle and I think I will really be able to use this feature.


Does anyone else out there have an e-reader? Comment with your thoughts on e-readers, Kindle vs. Nook, Black Friday deals, or anything else on the topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment