Saturday, November 27

Merry Christmas to Me

I suppose it's the ultimate skew of the true meaning of Christmas; buying a gift for yourself. Ah well, I'm still thrilled with my new Kindle 3G [3rd generation]. (-: It came today, right on schedule for the overnight delivery. Should I have paid an extra $20 for overnight delivery? Well, probably not. But I got a $30 break by signing up for the Amazon Visa card, so it averages out to a $10 savings still!

I already read Beauty and the Beast. Did you know Beauty had two sisters and three brothers? If I wrote the story I would have left out the brothers, because they played a very insignificant role and were barely in the story. Maybe it's my theatre background that causes me to shy away from unimportant characters; sometimes the only thing worse than not being cast is being cast for a needless role. However, much of the story was similar to the Disney re-make and I enjoyed it just as much. Right now I'm working on "The Lilac Fairy Book", which is apparently part of a collection of twelve fairy tales that someone collected. No actual fairies so far, but that's okay.

I'm going through and downloading all of the free books I'd found and added. Something like 38 of them, from classic novels to philosophy and even a new book that happened to be free. I'm excited at how easy I imagine it will be to get lots of reading done, if I can just pick it up for a few minutes at a time so easily. Of course, it's also great for long periods of reading, like I hope to get in next week while I'm out of state.

One nice thing about the Kindle is that you can add mp3s. Granted there isn't much of an mp3 player; you can pause or skip songs and that's it. It doesn't even tell you what song you're on. However, it's still kind of a nice addition.

What is one book you've always wanted to read but never gotten around to?

2 comments:

  1. It's not a book, really, but a series. I've wanted to read Percy Jackson and the Olympians series since I watched The Lightning Thief. My cousins - my COUSINS, who do NOT under ANY circumstance read - kept pushing this series on me and telling me how wonderful it was. I've just sadly had no time, though.

    So, wow, congrats on getting a Kindle! :D You should definitely let me know the pros and cons of it! I got myself a Nook for my birthday (which was ironically exactly when you posted this post xD). Barnes and Noble has a LOT of free e-books that you can read on your Kindle, also. Just giving you more options! I think some of them are repeats of the free e-books for the Kindle, though.

    Trust me, when I found out about B&N giving free e-books, I went CRAZY. I think I downloaded every single free e-book they offered. I haven't read a single one, admittedly, but it's great to know they're there. xD

    You know what? I've never read Beauty and the Beast. I've only ever seen the Disney movie. Now you have me curious and wanting to read it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kristina Barnes: I've never read the series, but my sister likes it. I watched the movie and almost fell asleep. :blush:

    I love the Kindle so far! Granted, about 50% of my time on it is spent playing a word scramble game I found... I love words, I can't help it! I thought about a Nook. The deciding factors for me were the better contrast the Kindle is supposed to have, and it being slightly lighter. Bookworm that you are, you'r probably used to hefting heavy novels, but some of us need to work up to it! ;)

    Go read Beauty and the Beast! It'll take you like half an hour and you'll feel accomplished for having read the original story behind the beloved Disney classic. Right now I'm in the middle of Utopia, and something by Dee Henderson I can't recall the name of. One of my favorite parts of an e-reader is that I can read whatever I'm in the mood for, at any time!

    Too bad we don't have the same e-readers, or we could lend books to each other :) You'll definitely have to tell me when you run across a fabulous freebie though and I'll see if Amazon offers it. I'm always looking for recommendations.

    ReplyDelete